Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Gay Marriage

   I have a partner. We have been together 14 years. We have a mortgage, two cars payments, full time jobs, 3 dogs, two cats, etc.. We're not married. Oh did I mention that we love each other?

   According to the government I can't get married like straight couples. Or can I? I also have many female friends that I truly love. I have a friend that I have know for 19 years and another friend I have known for 30 (ouch, seeing that in writing really hurts). And I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I love them like a loving straight marriage, minus the sex. 

   We have cried together, laughed together, grieved together, and celebrated together. We know each others secrets. We know how to push each others buttons. We call one another in the middle of the night when we're scared. We are happy for each other when we get raises and we are there for one another when we get fired and need a helping hand.

   How many people get married for reasons other then love? Citizenship, health insurance, a baby? What happened to marrying for love? Yes, I know a lot of people do, but I'm sure many others do it for the reasons I just mentioned. I don't see the Mormons spending $30,000,000 (how many starving children would that have fed?) trying to stop "Married Couples Who Have A Kid But Hate Each Other". As long as they are "Man and Woman" it's all good. Does love fall into play at all with these people? I'm just picking on the Mormons because they just seem to be the most out spoken entity standing between me and my "Happily ever after". Does love even matter? 

   Not according to 7,001,084 Californians and many other Americans. As long as you are the opposite sex as your intended you can marry. So, here is what I propose boys ... marry your best girl. Call her right now and set a date. Then call the Beverly Wilshire and reserve the Grand Ball Room. Call the florist and order those roses. Call the caterer and order all the chicken and fish your 200 guests can eat. Call that 70's/80's revival band that specializes in ABBA songs. 

   Then call the church because you are marring the woman of your dreams.
 
   Gloria Allred please stand-by.

6 comments:

  1. It'll happen in our lifetime. Just make damn sure I get a wedding invite. Wherever and whenever it happens, I'll be there. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. David:

    A couple of posts ago you said:

    That brings me to another point ... do people really care what I have to say? Enough to come back every day? Even every week? I hope so. If not I'll just consider this a cheap form of therapy.

    Well, David, I came back, and I am glad I did.

    I find your thought process and your writing oustanding---I know if I say "inspiring", you may not believe me.

    Please keep it up, it is not only a "cheap form of therapy," but also enjoyable and, yes, inspiring.

    You'll never guess who this is

    ReplyDelete
  3. How does one become a "folower"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anonymous ... Thank you for the kind words ... and your right, I dont have any idea who you might be. Maybe you can leave a hint.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hint #1:

    Have you flown in any private Leajets lately?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hint #2:
    Sorry, that should be "learjet."

    ReplyDelete